[Bards] Chaucer Songbook

Martha Schreffler mot at swbell.net
Fri May 4 09:51:44 PDT 2007

I'm on a mailing list for Melody's harp shop in Houston.  I have the book described in a recent posting (below) and highly recommend it. It's nice to have the accompanying CD because it helps to understand how to pronounce the words! Not just for harpists - good book for anyone interested in singing period songs - Amata

  Music - in the "what's new" section of www.folkharp.com

The Chaucer Songbook by Carol Wood
92014 $24.95 ($10 more with CD in back cover sleeve)
This book was formerly published by Mel Bay and has been out of print
for some time. We are happy to be able to bring you this wonderful and
comprehensive book! It is over 120 pages containing information on
Chaucer in reference to the harp, with researched text and poetry. Anyone
needing information or reference guides for a presentation on Chaucer and the
Harp in the Fourteenth Century will find it here! The songs are Angelus ad
Virginem, Alma Redemptoris Mater, Sanctus, Gloria, Edi Be Thu, Roundel
of the Birds, Ne Qu'on Porroit, Gais et Jolis, Ton y Brenhin, Symlen
Ben-bys, Maid in the Moor, I Am of Irlaunde, My Lief is Faren in Londe, I Have a
Gentil Cock, The Pear Tree, King Orfeo, Glenkinde, The Marriage of Sir
Gawain. Most of the songs are presented with several versions, and all
have notes. The CD is also available separately in a jewel case.