[Bards] A small Bardic survey....

shark shark75080 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 12 08:00:26 PDT 2007

I'm new to bardic, but not to singing. At my first Bardic competition (to listen) I was astonished by the conditions singers and speakers find themselves in when competing in the SCA. Dealing with weather, fires, outdoor conditions with no walls to bounce the voice, background noise, AND a cappella! Many times ALL of these conditions are present (a singer's nightmare).

A cappella singing is one of the hardest to do, as it requires a good ear and major control of your instrument. So just as you would keep a guitar out of really wet or dry conditions and always tune it, clean it, etc., care of the body and voice is really important - speaking to the choir I'm sure - pun intended :)

One of the most emotionally vulnerable things you can do is singing in front of a group of people and following Kat's suggestions will enable you to count on your voice when you need it.

Another thing I would add is keeping the vocal chords hydrated with warm, not hot, liquid that has NO sugar and maybe some lemon juice. Also, breathing exercises and vocalizing everyday - I do mine in the car - will strengthen the singing muscles that go from the diaphragm all the way to the top of the head.  Last thing would be walking regularly if you can, to improve your overall wind and power.

Keeping the body in shape will help the voice. Amazon has some good CDs that you can use in the car to keep everything working. For example, I can sometimes improve my voice range by 6 or 7 notes just by keeping it in shape - something it's not in right now, sadly.

Keep singing!
Susanne