[Bards] the Rules-well sort of.

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 1 10:38:03 PDT 2007

I agree, mentoring is something that should be given more attention.  That's why I put a mentoring page on the bardic website.  Mentoring doesn't have to be reserved to a Laurel-apprentice relationship.  It also doesn't have to be a one-on-one relationship.  It can be a committed agreement, or a casual agreement.  Using myself as an example, I've been the committed bardic student of Eleanor Fairchild.  For several years we've had a non-Laurel-apprentice pact (though we may change that in time now that she is a Laurel).  Whether she was near or far, it didn't matter.  We made the effort to maintain it.  She has also sent me to other bards to learn things from.  Likewise, I have my own bardic student, and I'll send her to other bards to learn things which I'm not able to teach her.  I'll also teach anyone (if I can) who approaches me with something they want to learn.  The key to mentoring is being willing to make the effort, either to find a mentor, or be a mentor.  Anyone
 can potentially benefit from having a mentor, from the newest bard, to the wisened Laurel.  There's always someone out there you can learn from, though the further you take your craft, the fewer and further between those teachers will be.

Alden