[Bards] What can we do to make things better

Gerald Norris jerryn at houston.rr.com
Wed May 2 08:02:30 PDT 2007

Weally, Wobin!  That's wude!

I have a hard time picturing you as a bad example.  I have an easy time
picturing you as stubborn.  ;-)

This is the problem I have with the whole good bard / bad bard (no cookie!)
thing, and even with the label bard in or kingdom.  I put "a bard of
Stargate" in my signature, but truth to be told I've only written a few
songs that have anything to do with the history of our kingdom, my barony,
or my patron when I act as champion for a barony/shire/canton/party-of-one.
But there's a lot of people who point at me and say "He's a bard," (which I
used to think was code in the kingdom for "He'll drink all your beer").  We
have bardic circles, but when I take a look at their frequency and activity,
I can more easily compare them to Victorian parties than 13th century
gatherings around a fire.

So.  The question isn't one of supression, but re-direction.  In this forum,
there are a number of people who have been playing this portion of the game
a lot longer than I.  I'm still at the stage of struggling with the idea
that I might have some - thing that other people might want to learn.  Some
of you might raise your hand in agreement.  How do you suggest to the crow
that perhaps story-telling might be a venue they should try?  How do you
persuade the stutter to try an instrument, or song?  How often is it done?

In service to the dream with a song in my heart, I am,
HL Gerald of Leesville
A bard of Stargate