[Bards] Judging a bardic competition

Genie Barrett ladymaggie at justinanimator.com
Thu May 3 06:16:25 PDT 2007

At 04:52 PM 5/2/2007, you wrote:
>snip.  I thought she was the best at the competition, though she
>didn't win, which made me wonder if I was all at sea about what was
>expected at bardic competitions.
>
>Susanne of Steppes

Hey Susanne,

I've a bit to say about judging....

It is very relative.  Sometimes the person who wins is absolutely
sure that some other person has totally pegged the competition.  It
has to do with emotion, the Judges emotion.  It is so very hard to
judge between, for example: a poem, a ballad, and a guitar
piece.  They are so very different.

I have judged only one competition, and am sure that if I had judged
it with different people it would have ended very differently, or
not.  It might have ended the same, but just gotten there differently.

As Master Robin says, if the competition had been judged a different
weekend, but every other factor had been the same, it would have had
different results.  Never base your value as a Bard against weather
you won a competition or not.  That is one of the most flexible and
changing aspects out there.

Just a thought
Maggie
Glaslyn's Bardic Defender