[Bards] A small Bardic survey....

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 11 07:51:27 PDT 2007

I'm trying to think of performing in general, rather than to specific
venues.

1. Performers should keep in mind that their performance actually begins
before they start their piece.  There is a moment between when the turn
falls to them and when their piece begins, where the performer "sets the
stage for him/herself"  This is when performers usually introduce
themselves and/or the piece, give a little background, etc.  What some
people don't realize is that you can grab or lose an audience in this
little window of time.  Take advantage of it.

2. If you're a vocal performer, take care of your voice.  Much like a
herald, you should be healthy, rested, watered, etc. when the time comes
for you to perform.  Likewise, take care of your instruments and keep
them tuned.

3. Pay attention to what's going on around you.  Observe the audience,
the other performers, the judges.  See how they react to the
performances going on.  Use that to tailor your performance.  If they
seem bored, get them to laugh, or rouse their spirits.  If they're
upbeat, don't bring them down with a somber piece.  If three stories
have gone before you, sing a song, or perform something with pep.  If
you know Mistress Jane doesn't like Old English poetry, and she's one of
your judges, consider something else.

4. Don't worry if you mess up.  It happens to everyone.  Work around it,
or use it, but keep going.  If you completely lose your grasp on it,
just politely excuse yourself and try again another time.  Don't overly
apologize, and don't keep the audience waiting for you to remember
something.  Some performers suggest taking a drink to disguise
collecting yourself again.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

5. Performing for bards (in Ansteorra at least) is easier than
performing for non-bards, because for the most part, Ansteorran bards
are very supportive of one another.

6. Going before Master Megabard in a competition is no harder or easier
than going after Master Megabard, so don't worry about it.  When your
turn comes, do your best.  Your biggest competitor is yourself.
Challenge yourself to do better than your last performance.

Just some random thoughts.

Alden