[Bards] Ansteorran History - Recorded

Robert Fitzmorgan fitzmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 22:26:27 PDT 2007

    What I very much want is to get on record, (audio or written)
Ansteorra's History.  As the years pass bits of our history are being lost
as people forget things, stop playing, or die.
    In my early years in the SCA I spent many hours listening to William
Blackfox tell the stories of early years of the Principality and Kingdom of
Ansteorra.  Those stories are lost now.  I certinly don't remember them well
enough to tell them.  To my mind this is a tragedy.  And it's a tragedy
that's going to be repeated unless we do something about it.  I've heard
Willow, Robin, Blackfox and others tell many wonderful tales of our
Kingdom.  But I haven't heard any of those tales often enough to re-tell
them.  When our founders no longer tell those stories will they be lost
forever?   They don't have to be.

    I never met* Orm Sjoldbidig  *I would love to ask Willow and Johathon
why they created the Order of the Lion and why they made Orm the first
Lion.  In fact I would like to ask all of our former Crowns, if they made a
Lion, why they made that particular Lion.  And I think it would be great if
we could hear it in their own voices.

    What I want to see, and what I think Zubeydah is proposing is an
organized effort to record and preserve our history.  Small and
inconspicuous digital recorders can be had at very reasonable prices.  We
need people willing to tell the stories and have them recorded, people
willing to record them, and a place to collect the stories where people can
access them.
    We only record the tales that the storytellers want to have preserved.
Nothing should be recorded or posted without permission, and no one should
be berated or condemned because they choose not to be recorded.

  I believe that if we are going to do this, it should be now, before
anything else is forgotten or anyone else is lost.  I believe this is a
perfect project for the Bards of Ansteorra.

    I can't make this happen myself.  I can't travel all over the Kingdom
recording stories.  I don't get to event much these days.  I don't have a
server to collect the stories on or the skills needed to set one up.  But I
bet between us on this list we have all the resources needed to make this
happen.   I would be happy to help organize and coordinate if needed.

   I want to applaud Zubeydah for bringing this up and for actually making a
start on something I've only been thinking about.  I think this is a worthy
project and I think we should support it.

Robert Fitzmorgan

--
"If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't been much
of a day."     John A. Wheeler

Fitzmorgan at gmail.com
Yahoo IM: robert_fitzmorgan