[Bards] bardic styles and such

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 4 08:48:51 PDT 2007

I think the prevalence of multi-style competitions is that it's an easy
way to add a challenging element to a bardic competition.  Other such
challenges include requiring documentation, a piece to a specific theme,
an original composition, or while juggling flaming geese.  There are
many ways to challenge bards in competition (as others have mentioned).
Such challenges force bards to play outside of their comfort zone.  The
trick, for the performer, is to accept those challenges and still
entertain the audience.  Such challenges serve to help the performer grow.

The thing is, these are competition requirements.  They are what the
presiding nobility, outgoing bard, and/or other "ruling body" has
decided is an important factor for the person who is going to represent
the branch as a titled bard.  Outside of the competition arena, you're
free to perform anything and everything that you (and your audience)
likes, and I encourage you to do so....often!

My (somewhat rhetorical) questions for everyone are - Do you challenge
yourself as a bard?  If so, how?  What things do you do to improve your
craft?  Do you look ahead to the next level and ask yourself, "How do I
get there?"  Do you see a next level?  Who do you look to as a measuring
stick?  Do you have a teacher guiding you?  Do you teach others?

Alden

Alden