[Bards] Differing Styles

Pat Mullins paedrics at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 22:53:27 PDT 2007

An audience choice competition is a whole different animal. There the winner is more likely to be the local performer with the most friends...
Just another observation...
Paedric

Esther <reese_esther at yahoo.com> wrote: Well, you know, in a way, the singers have it pretty tough. If they want to do a real period piece, there's a chunk of education that has to go with it, because there's not a lot of skilled singing that is known and familiar to their audience. Their very expertise can be... alienating.

  Imagine doing a period aria perfectly, and losing to a filk of Gilligan's island, because it was more accesible to the audience.

  Emma (Esther)

Pat Mullins <paedrics at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Wow! I was expecting some flame for this:

Pat Mullins <paedrics at yahoo.com> wrote:
Finally, this may be my personal bias as a non-singer, but it seems to me that in  best  piece or any style competitions, a great singer will usually, if not always, beat a great storyteller or poet, all other things being equal. Is a performer who can sing three songs very well a better bard than a performer who can perform a piece of Beowulf from memory, part of Shakespeare's Henry V, and a No S**T There I Was story, all done well?
but I couldn't even get a spark. Maybe its not just MY perception...
It's interesting that the ones complaining about differing styles are the SINGERS!
Leave some competitions for the rest of us, will ya!
Paedric
Just trying to agitate, now.
I've got my asbestos skivvies on!