[Bards] er, but... wait... um...

Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyya zubeydah at northkeep.org
Mon Oct 29 21:13:24 PDT 2007

Hiya!  I appreciate those who have responded, but I guess I didn't explain
myself very well...  *Totally* my bad. :(  Lemme try again:

I am *NOT* looking to create a professional CD of Ansteorran Bards singing
and filking and poetry reciting, or whathaveyou.  I am not looking to
violate copyright, or record those who don't wish to be recorded, or to make
anyone unhappy.

What I *AM* trying to accomplish, is to record the more 'commonfolk' stories
of Ansteorra.  Not bardic circles or Great and Wondrous Performances -- but
the stories that fighters tell as they're pulling off their armor and
tossing down a beer, or the stories that get told on the 20 hour drive to a
War, or the stories that are told as folks wash dishes in the kitchen, or
sit around a fire at 3am.

The 'no shit, there I was' stories.
The 'I got to see when So and So did Such and Such at Gulf War, and it
Rocked' stories.
The "Okay, the SCA doesn't *entirely* suck, and this is what convinced me to
stay' stories.
The "These people are my heroes and here's why" stories.
The "I was there, to see the tears and the sorrow when we got the news
that..." stories.
The "I remember the first time I met... " stories.
The "how to tell if it's a good party.." story.    (Answer: It involves
Master Oxlade, duct taped to a table, apparently.  Collected that one from
HL Adena, at Namron Protectorate.)

Example:  I was there, when Finnican was asked to join the order of the
Laurel.  And while his performance was *mind bogglingly* good ("we feast
WELL!..."), THAT wasn't the part that struck me.  It was how, when TRMs
asked him if he would accept entry... trembling so hard he could barely
walk, he staggered over to his lady wife, and caught up her hands, and told
her that he couldn't possibly undertake that journey without her, and how
her eyes were filled to overflowing with tears of pride and love. How they
embraced and it was just a beautiful and touching moment. How she granted
him her love and support... and only then, when he had secured that, did he
return and answer Their Royal Majesties....

I'm not looking to do epic anythings.
I'm looking to capture little bitty "snapshots" of Ansteorran history.

I can't travel as far as I would wish, throughout this massive kingdom. And
that darned flying broomstick just hasn't been the same since I hit that
pine tree... So... I was looking for help.

Does that make better sense as to what I was aiming at?

-Zubeydah