[Bards] Ansteorran History - Recorded

Darlene Vandever annescvb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 17:35:52 PDT 2007

Thank you Alden, for remembering me.

Dear Bards of Ansteorra,

I believe this is a wonderful project. I have been doing what I can for the
last 3 years and this is only one of many projects suggested to me thru
those years. But so many were proposed that I haven't had the time to get to
even a fraction of these.

My first project was a web presence. That took some thinking and a great
deal of help from HL Chiara... And getting groups to send me their
newsletters. And making people know there really *was* a Kingdom Historian
now and that I *would* respond to them. And getting a History display at
Gulf War started.

My time recent time has been spent encouraging groups to get a local
historian and for that local historian to *really* be recording the group's
history. I, however, do advise them to understand that much has been lost
and they need to concentrate on getting what is happening *now* in their
group while trying to recover as much as they can from the past. I have
taught classes at the last 6 red tapes since taking office and believe that
the raising of the conciousness that began with the Museum I coordinated at
25th year is still taking place across the kingdom. That being that time is
passing and those who started this game grow daily older. Their stories may
be lost if they are not recorded soon.  Almost daily I recieve some missive
from somewhere asking about this bit of history or that artifact and do I
know where it is or can I find it? It gives me great joy and also makes me
wonder what people did when we did not have a visible and active Kingdom
historian.

My most recent project has been trying to get a regional historian network
set up...the first ever for our kingdom. So far I have one new officer. I am
waiting to see who else will respond. Because this kingdom is too large for
me to be everywhere...as Master Fitzmorgan lamented, I do sadly echo...

When I won Steppes Bard a few years ago, Mahdi and Valeria chose me not
because I was the most skilled nor because I had the best piece but because
I reminded them of what Bards are meant to do....record our history and
stories and events in story and song and poem. My offering was very short
and I Bard-Burped in the middle of it but it recorded a real happening in
their court just hours before. So from a field of great talent and
enormously talented Bards...they chose me...and inspired me to write what I
still believe is my best piece to date...The Remembering...which recorded as
best I could the legend of the man and Knight known as Riccardo di Pisa...

The Bards of Ansteorra have always done this...sometimes better and
sometimes not so good. But indeed, as Alden said, I would love to link my
kingdom History pages to your collected stories. Don't forget to go into
your old black stars...they weren't always just officer reports and event
announcements. And local newsletters are a rich source of these stories
already recorded.

Speaking of getting your collected stories onto the web.....why not see if
the kingdom has room for a page (or more) for the Bards of Ansteorra. It is
well worth the shot...or perhaps we can simply put them into the history
pages...which might be a good place for them.

And yes...I am deeply and abidingly interested in whatever you manage to
save and record.

--
Annes
Primary motto: "Muneris ultra Sanitas" *translation* "Service beyond Sanity"