[Bards] Standards

Cynthia Rogers wolfpaws at mac.com
Sun Jan 6 10:58:02 PST 2008

Certainly the medieval Bretons and Irish would agree that someone
must mast a certain repertoire to be honored as a bard. My thought
though is-- do we have enough repertoire in common to use that as a
standard? And who would judge whether a performer had mastered a set
or not?

However, I think many people would feel more comfortable if there
were a better idea of what a bard is expected to know. Newcomers are
often a little baffled because you often can't tell where bardic
starts and ends.-- Is a person who tells a football story told during
a bardic competition a bard? Is a person who tells fabulous "no-sh*t"
I was there stories around camp a bard? What if both please their
audiences? What about someone who runs off everyone at a fire because
they sing all 40 verses to the Shephard's Daughter?

Your questions are making me ponder-- What makes a good bard? My own
secret criteria for a bard are:
Ability to judge the mood of the audience.
A large enough repertoire to be able to perform something that fits
in with what has been performed previously, and what will keep the
circle alive and entertaining.
Knowledge of what the other people (particularly the beginners) know,
so you can request songs or stories that they know in order to keep a
circle from being monopolized by the more confident performers.
Ability to teach and lead sing-alongs to a crowd.
Commitment to learning new pieces that will aid "The Dream."
Talent.
Courtesy.

Just off the cuff thoughts. :-)
Rhiannon Redwulf