[Bards] Standards

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us
Sun Jan 6 13:18:44 PST 2008

Peters Athena wrote:

> I don't respond often but this question brings me from lurking....
>

> I do not like labels or limiting people by standards when identifying
> themselves.
>

> Is there a standard for someone to call themselves a fighter? a
> writer? an actor?
>

> I suppose this comes from my studies where I was often told by
> teachers "Don't say you want to be an actor someday. Just be one!"
>

> This is purely my opinion but if someone wants to call themselves
> something that is not a specific title, they should be allowed to do
> so. There are actors out there that call themselves such, that I don't
> believe have any ounce of talent at the art, but it is not for me to
> tell them that they are not an actor. That is for them to decide. I
> think it should be the same for the word bard, unless for some reason
> it becomes an official SCA title at some point.
>

> I think by setting standards for an artists to call themselves and
> artist, you are already setting a limit and control on their
> creativity. Art in of itself embodies a personal need for the freedom
> to express. By placing rules on that expression we limit the freedom
> and therefore the art.
>

> But as always that is my opinion, take it as you will :)
>
> Lady Vyvyanne
>
> Artist, Bard, Actress, Writer, Dreamer, etc.....

I couldn't agree more.

As an aside, I've heard people somewhat jokingly talk about the
difference between a bard and a "Bard" (TM) (R).  You know, capital "B",
the big bards (you know who I'm talking about).  The thing is, no one
bestowed them with that title in some ceremony.  They got there by
entertaining their audiences over and over.  So audiences all over
started requesting them to perform.  And while it does help to have a
repertoire large enough to fit the mood, one of the biggest complaints I
hear from good bards, is that they get asked to do the same one or two
pieces over and over.  I also find it interesting that a number of the
people I would consider to be "Bards" (TM) (R), don't consider
themselves to be one.

Donnchadh