[Bards] What is a bard, what is a standard, and what does it mean?

Gerald of Leesville gerald.of.leesville at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:10:44 PST 2008

I had a Harlan Ellison approach to this.

Then I had a Charles Dickens approach.

Short and simple.

I don't agree with standards, per se.  I know who I like, I know who I
don't, and I try to take the best and mix it with my own.  It's what we do.

I've been called a fine bard.  I use that title as a shorthand for
entertainer.  It's what we've grown to accept in the SCA.  If anything, our
historians and seneschalate are closer to the original term than many of the
entertainers we have.

So.  Pick a standard and uphold it. Do what you do and do it with joy and
they can call you a tin can and you'll be happy.  It's worked for me.

Gerald.