[Bards] An interesting bardic idea...

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 11 12:38:26 PDT 2008

Note - this reply is purely from my own perspective.  I make no claim
that the views expressed are the right views, nor that they will agree
with any of y'all's views. :)

One of my favorite formats is elimination bardic, where the competition
pits two individuals together in a round and judges between them.  With
a double elimination format, bards get to perform at least twice, and
better bards can perform enough times that it starts to challenge their
repertoire.  Plus, I like the element of juggling your pieces against
your opponents, keeping the "big guns" in reserve, or calling them up
because you suspect John Doe is going to go with a certain piece that
blows people away.  We don't do as much elimination bardic, instead (I
suspect) favoring equal stage time for all entrants.  I also liked
seeing Eisteddfod as a "top half of the list moves to the next round"
approach too.

Competitions that require certain things - I'm mixed on this.  I like
competitions that require different styles (poetry, story, song,
interpretive dance, etc.), and I like requiring original pieces (as a
demonstration of composition skills).  Write on demand can be fun and
interesting, and I've asked for that in a competition before.  It works
because everyone is in the same boat.  Requiring period (style) (pieces
with documentation) is good because it helps promote education and
research (something I heard the SCA was about- hehe)

I'm not very keen on requirements of themed pieces though.  Especially
ones that are rather specific.  I think it's a bit unbalanced towards
people who specialize or are closely associated with the theme, and
leaves people who aren't a limited amount of time to prepare/find/write
something to fit.  Sometimes notices of the requirements aren't sent out
early enough to give people time to come up with something.  I also
don't like learning a new piece purposefully for a competition.  I like
learning a new piece because I like the piece.  I don't need to fill my
head with a piece that I need for a competition that I'll likely never
perform again.  I also don't like performing a piece for the first time
in a competition.  I like giving it some air time in casual venues first
to see how it plays against an audience.

I think putting *requirements* into a bardic competition will (to some
degree) eliminate people who might have otherwise participated.  A
better approach might be to have *requests* for which the performer may
chose to adhere to, or not.  If I read that a competition *requires* a
piece about the "Pope's new hat", odds are good I'm not going to enter
the competition at all.  I have nothing in my repertoire on that
subject, nor do I want to add a piece on that subject.  However, if the
judges request a piece on that subject, I may still enter, but not
perform to that request.  I may loose points because of it, but I'll
still participate with the penalty.  When I'm coordinating a bardic
championship, I'll often have "documentation requested, but not
required" in one round - meaning points will be added if you submit
documentation, but if you don't, you're still welcome to perform.

Just my thoughts,
Alden