[Bards] Newcomers songbook

Ken Theriot kentheriot at ravenboymusic.com
Tue May 6 16:54:13 PDT 2008

I just want to jump in here and remind everyone that to publish lyrics (or
recordings) that are under active copyright without the permission of the
composer or publisher is illegal.  Only works that are in the public domain
(in this case that basically means written in 1922 or earlier) may be
published without permission.  So what does "publish mean?  Here is an
excerpt from the latest version of copyright law:

"Publication has a technical meaning in copyright law. According to the
statute, "Publication is the distribution of copies or phonorecords of a
work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental,
lease, or lending. The offering to distribute copies or phonorecords to a
group of persons for purposes of further distribution, public performance,
or public display constitutes publication."

In particular, note the last sentence.  There is little doubt that this
songbook is "for purposes of further distribution, public performance, or
public display," and therefore has been published since it is on a website
available to the public.  Since it contains MANY songs under active
copyright, and no notice that the lyrics were reprinted by permission, it is
in violation of copyright law.  If someone has, in fact, obtained permission
from all the composers/publishers involved, then it's fine.  But I'm pretty
sure that isn't the case.

If whoever is in charge of this songbook would like details on what songs
are problematic, we'd be happy to supply that information.  But we are not
volunteering to secure all permissions;).

Ironically it is much easier to secure a license to record and publish
someone else's song than it is to get permission to print the lyrics in a
publication of any kind.  In order to make this legal, it might be quite a
project..not impossible...but some work will definitely need to be done.

Cheers!

Kenneth

  _____