[Bards] Early History styles, filk, and frumpery - was - RE: My apologies to John Travolta and theBeegees, but it just kind of happened

Gerald of Leesville gerald.of.leesville at gmail.com
Tue May 27 20:46:01 PDT 2008

Wow!  That was danged civil!  It's amazing what a decent night's sleep and
good grub will do.

I'm just getting over the shock of having been called a "voice of reason".
It's not my forte... ;-).  As for Adelaide coming at me with a knife ... it
was done with love ;-).

I understand the desire of many who have been in the SCA to chase "The
Dream".  It's an elusive thing, that, ephemeral at best.  There's a line
from the movie "Gladiator" which describes it best; "Once there was the
dream of Rome.  Speak of it in anything but a whisper and it would
disappear."

The Dream is like that.  Like many things, it's our expectation that
determines the ease or difficulty of obtaining that state of mind where we
turn back time.  The slightest whiff of what is called "mundane" can erase
the moment for some.  Others find it in the simple gathering of friends to
share stories, songs, and tunes.  As performers, we should try to respect
that.  In some cases it means that we must press ourselves further and find
the pieces we can perform that lend themselves to developing that
atmosphere.

There are other times to bring out the "silly" stuff.  Sometimes it's at the
behest of royalty.  Sometimes it fits the mood.  As a performer, I try to
keep the mood varied.  I like a mixture of sing-a-longs, ballads, shanties,
and early history pieces.

Anywho, it's turned into a long post agin.  Sorry.

Gerald.