[Bards] modern inspiration

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 28 07:42:11 PDT 2008

There are a lot of modern/contemporary songs out there that inspire us
to create an SCA filk, and taking on such a project is fun - even if the
desire behind it is to make someone groan (and secretly wish they
thought of it themselves).  So here's an idea I came up with (though I
suspect I'm not the first to do so) - rather than take a modern tune and
apply period/SCA words, take inspiration from a modern piece and create
a period-style version.

I wrote the following after "Lies" by Stan Rogers got stuck in my head
for a while.  Sir Kenneth's mention of Stan Rogers reminded me of this
piece, so I thought I'd share it.

Sonnet 17

How oft you stare intently in the glass,
And note each mar and blemish witnessed there.
The woeful scars of years gone by, Alas!
Where went the springtime maiden, young and fair?
The mirror shows the remnants of what was
With every glance into the past.  You see
Effects of life gone by, but not the cause,
And so you hide the sight of life's debris.
The mirror lies a little more each day,
By which it lures you into false pretense,
To don the mask of Hebe and betray
The glory that I see without defense.
Eternal beauty, time cannot disguise;
As seen in the reflection in my eyes.