[Bards] Raising the bar

John Hirling jhirling at gmail.com
Wed May 28 08:49:48 PDT 2008

Several years ago at a coronation, Countess Gladwen and I shared an
epiphany: the historical accuracy of dress had greatly improved over the
preceding years not only with regard to materials but also with regard to
construction.  Neither of us could recall how this came about or exactly
when this had happened.  There had been no 'push' by the laurels -- no edict
from the Crown.  We couldn't even recall a discussion on the lists.  We
concluded that some folks had worked hard on research and execution and
shown up at events with the product.  The result was so attractive that more
and more people began to think, "Wow!  That historically accurate stuff is
really neat!  I want to dress like that, too!"

Bardic is my first love in the SCA (after Isabeau, of course).  I've done
more than my share of traditional songs, filk (good and bad, legal and
illegal), and period songs to modern arrangements.  I'm ashamed to say that
I even requested a blatantly modern piece from the Gulf Wars Bard at the
Ansteorran Circle this last March.

On the other hand, I've done broadside ballads, middle English poetry, and
even the occasional original piece in a period style.  There is a wealth of
tremendous music, poetry and story for the taking and the originators and
their publishers are too long dead to be any threat in court.

My challenge to myself is to build a repertoire of period pieces and
original pieces based on period works and forms.  I'll always enjoy
traditional pieces and SCA filks -- I just don't intend to do them anymore
at official parts of events.

My challenge to my fellow performers is to add at least one piece to your
repertoire from our period or write a piece based on period forms of the
caliber that might garner the comment "Wow!  That historically accurate
stuff is really neat!  I want to perform like that, too!"

YIS

ihon vinson macFergus, OL
Kingdom Bard
Acting Kingdom Minister or Arts & Sciences

--
" The heart of the human problem is the heart of the human." Max Lucado