[Bards] My apologies to John Travolta and the Beegees, but it just kind of happened

Ken Theriot kentheriot at ravenboymusic.com
Sun May 25 15:53:17 PDT 2008

OK, just as an example of what I was saying before..this is all in good fun,
and appropriate for certain venues.  I can certainly appreciate it in that
way.  But may I please make an appeal to everyone to NOT sing this at an
event, at least not until it is well after midnight and sufficiently drunk
out?  I know I'm gonna get yelled at, and I don't mean to kick anyone's
puppy.  But I just wish the bardic arts in Ansteorra could steer itself away
from filks to obviously modern songs.  It starts out as something everyone
gets a good laugh at, and then before you know it, people are singing it at
competitions and bardic circles, and it spreads and can't be contained.  So
what is wrong with it?  Well first and foremost, it is illegal.  The song
this was filked to (and I could name half a dozen others that I have
recently heard sung in competitions that are in the same category) is under
active copyright.  That means the tune AND the words.  Most of the filks I
hear actually don't even change that many words from the original!  I have
literally heard someone sing a song that was identical to the modern
original except for changing one word to "Ansteorra."  When you publicly
perform a copyrighted work that is not your own, you break the law.  And
guess who is liable?  Not you!  The person/group performing the copyrighted
song is not who would be sued in the event of legal action.  It is the
venue.  So technically, any of the sites where we hold events could
literally be sued for copyright infringement if one of our members performs
a song under active copyright.  Even if the filker changed every word, and
wrote a completely new lyric (would that it were so!!!), the use of the tune
is still protected.  Secondly, as I mentioned in an earlier post on filk,
obviously modern tunes can snap people out of the medieval reverie.  You
would NEVER blast a boom box of The BeeGees in the middle of an event.  So
how is this any different?  We strive to avoid it in every other area, but
seem to actively encourage it in our art.

I recently judged the bardic competition (with Dona Antonia) at Squires and
Cadets, and one competitor sang a filk called "Always a Herald to Me."  The
mere fact that I am a huge Billy Joel fan in my mundane life is the main
reason why that performance killed the SCA atmosphere for me.  I had "Always
a Woman to Me" stuck in my head the rest of the day.

Don Mateo, who is an excellent bard recently moved into Ansteorra, has a
great filk story.  He said he wrote a filk several years ago, and stuck the
paper away somewhere.  A few years later, he found the paper and had
completely forgotten what tune he had filked it to (which means he wrote a
completely new lyric, and didn't just change 3 or 4 words from the original,
or he would have recognized it...hint..hint).  So he was forced to write an
original tune to it.  Voila!  A completely new work, words and lyrics.

OK, so I made a big deal out of something that was just for fun.  I realize
that.  I posted the Viking filk to the Llama song on this list..but as an
example of bad versus better filk.  I just wanted to voice this opinion once
again after hearing sooooo many modern filks this weekend.

Now I am going to try to stave off this descending cloud of fatigue and
unconsciousness until bed time..if....possible.  Bjornsborg....far
away..from...Steppes.

Kenneth

PS  I heard some fantastic performances at the competition last night!  Our
kingdom is truly blessed with some awesome talent.

-K

  _____