[Bards] Mede (Mead) of Honor

Catrin ferch Maelgwn ladycatrin at gmail.com
Thu May 29 18:25:05 PDT 2008

Master Cadfan,

You have given me much to think upon, and my answer now is bound to be
neither altogether wise nor altogether sound (for heaven knows my mind
itself is neither).  Yet I feel I must give answer, now, having ventured a
weightier thing than I realized I was doing at the time.  And I can only
answer with what I myself believe, which amounts to very little in this
discussion.

But I believe that when a child does well, he should be praised, and
highly.  I believe that when a child makes a mistake, he should be led
aright again, carefully and lovingly and without shame.  I do not believe
that the inevitability of a future mistake negates the importance of
rewarding present goodness.  In this, at least, I feel children and adults
*should* be treated equally.

You would not withhold an award from a young fighter simply because you know
that, in the years to come, he will not *always* live up to the tenets of
his order.  There is an unspoken understanding that he will stumble, and
that any reasonable person will think no less of him for it, so long as he
acknowledges his mistakes and makes an effort to right them.  The danger is
not in praising the child; the danger is in heaping unrealistic expectations
upon one's praise.

For my part, I am in no place to set standards of behavior for anyone: man,
woman, or child.  Nor would I ever expect a child to purport himself with
the same good judgment, and benefit of experience, as an adult.  Yet I
believe that, once a child is old enough to understand what adult standards
of conduct are--and therefore to be affected by their existence in his
life--he is old enough to begin holding himself to his *own* standards.  And
I believe that a child, just like anyone else, will tend to rise to the
occasion when praised for what he does well.

If there is duty to be had, it lies not with the child, but with his
elders.  We have a duty to encourage without pushing, to guide without
stifling, and to praise without insisting that every attempt be perfect.  I
hope, then, that my praise was not too great--yet I would be more regretful
if I found it was too little.

Respectfully,
Catrin ferch Maelgwn