[Bards] Someone's spamming the Ansteorran mailing lists.

Robert Fitzmorgan fitzmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 21:06:35 PST 2008

   Apparently the way grouply works is that when someone subscribes, it will
send an invite to everyone in their address book and the invite will come
from the new subscribers email account.  Because it's coming from an email
account that is subscribed to this list, the mailing list accepts the
message as valid.  I could remove this person from the bards list, however
from what I understand grouply only sends out the invite once, which it has
already done, so removing this person really doesn't accomplish anything.
If I get more spam from this email address then I will likely remove them
from the list, but removing them on the basis of one message seems
excessive.

   I do reccomend against subscribing to grouply unless you have done your
homework and know what you are getting yourself into.  You are giving them
control of your email account, which is a much bigger security risk than I
am comfortable with.  Even if the company is on the up and up and has no
plans to do anything shady, the fact that they have this kind of access to
your personal information is going to make them a major target of hackers.

Robert