[Bards] "The Queen's Champion Retires"--George Peele

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue Nov 11 06:42:58 PST 2008

Cadfan quoted:

> 'Anne outlived Sir Henry, but both were buried at Quarrandon,
> near Aylesbury, in a chapel of which only a remnant of the outer
> wall now remains. Sir Henry's monument showed him lying down
> in armour with an effigy of Anne kneeling at his feet.'

Since this is the bards' list, we should recognize that, after his death, that relationship and monument were commemorated in verse by John Aubrey as follows (from his biography at www.tudorplace.com):

Here lies the good old knight Sir Harry,

Who loved well but would not marry;

While he lived and had his feeling,

She did lie and he was kneeling.

Now he's dead and cannot feel,