[Bards] Kingdom A&S--Congratulations to Mistress Adelaide!

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed Feb 18 10:39:17 PST 2009

Catrin ferch Maelgwn wrote:

> Over on the Kingdom mailing list, Master Ihon informed us that Their
> Majesties named Adelaide de Beaumont as their Kingdom Artisan this
> last weekend - and elsewhere, it was hinted that "...she moved Master
> Robin to tears and received the only perfect score of the day."

To be mathematically accurate, she received two perfect scores, as the
piece had two judges.

> Wow.

Yup.  That's what I said.

> I'm assuming this was a performance entry, but for those of us who
> could not be there, would anyone be willing to share an account of
> what went on?

No, actually, it was a written poem.  The 16th century language was
excellent, and the poem was very moving.   She managed to make me identify
with the French knight fighting against the English.

I've asked her for permission to perform it.  If she sends me a copy,
you'll hear it, but it's one of the rare SCA poems that works better as a
written piece than a spoken one, because there's time to absorb it all.

>  I would love to hear about it--it's wonderful to learn
> of this incredible accomplishment by one of our own.  Congratulations,
> Adelaide!

Absolutely.  It's a great poem.  I wish I'd written it.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin