[Bards] Plans for 30th

willowjonbardc at juno.com willowjonbardc at juno.com
Mon Jan 5 14:25:38 PST 2009

Dear people

Over my long years in the SCA I have learned that things in the SCA get done because the people just do it. The structure works so slowly that if we wait until the officers get things together it is too late to do something creative. I just can't get it through their heads at creative and artistic things take more than two months to do.

At the 25 celebration of the SCA the people in charge of entertainment set up several performing areas and arranged performances at regular times. They also arranged performing areas at night that were on the opposite side of the camp grounds from the dancing area. They put the courtly dancing not far from us and didn't make any difference. Of course this makes sense. If you put the drums in the middle of the camp site they take over. If you spread things out you can have more activities going on.

Also at the 25 celebrations of Ansteorra there would multiple bardic areas. Households gracious arranged to sponsor campfire all through the night. This was set up before time.  They were set up in a big circle and us performers wandered until the sun came up. It was fun. There was a "party row" and that meant we were not bothering people who needed to sleep. I liked that. People put up blue ribbons to show that they welcomed bards so we were not accused of being "attack bards". I was really surprised at the number of people that welcomed the performers.

Also before the 25 celebration of the SCA we put out Ansteorran songs and history tales 9 months before the event. Many kingdoms are coming to our 30Th  it would be a shame if Glen Alaban or some other kingdom sang more songs about their kingdom then we sang.

I  would suggest to everyone to think of something they can do to celebrate Ansteorra and Anteorran history.

Right now we need the words of the popular songs of Ansteorra to be passed around. If someone would take the time and find the web sites that have them and post the URLs we could copy them and make our own song books.
I will try to get some stories out but I keep getting sick and keep dropping the balls. I need you folks to take up the slack.

We also need everyone to brain storm on how we can honor Ansteorra and express the values and ideals that make us special.

I am willing to help people paint wall hangings for their campsites. If any one has any neat ideas for making mundane things look neat please share them.
Duchess Willow de Wisp