[Bards] Parcel of Rogues

John Hirling jhirling at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 07:07:36 PST 2009

One of the great Robert Burns poems, I particularly like the vocal and drum
rendition by Steeleye Span.  Other favorite Burns works for me are Scots Wa
Hae and To The Weavers Gin Ye Go.  Although not period, they have a period
feel that has never broken the moment for me.

For those who are interested:

*Written in 1791, *Such a Parcel of Rogues in a Nation* is Robert Burns'
famous poem on the 1707 Acts of Union, which joined the parliaments of
England and Scotland to create the nation of Great Britain. It contains the
lines 'We're bought and sold for English gold' -- \ Such a parcel of rogues
in a nation! echoing the sentiment that Scottish landowners, bankrupted in
part by the disastrous Darien Scheme, sold out the Scottish nation for their
own financial gain.**

*http://www.booksfromscotland.com/Authors/Robert-Burns/Parcel-of-Rogues

Only my opinion, but I wouldn't worry too much about trying to sing it
note-for-note as written in the Dragonsfire Tor Newcomers Book.

~ihon
**

**

**

*
*
" The heart of the human problem is the heart of the human." Max Lucado