[Bards] The lesson is in the failure...

Gerald of Leesville gerald.of.leesville at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 19:41:26 PST 2009

Nice topic.

In competition, it's something the judges should offer, perhaps a seperate
"comments" sheet for the performers.  I know I often go into competition
and, if I don't win, expect a comment on what, if anything, weaknesses there
might have been of the performance(s).

Otherwise, it's something I'll seek if I'm looking to improve a piece.  I'll
ask.

I try to avoid offering commentary on other's performances unless asked.

I believe that there is a lot of good to be had in bardic groups that meet
on a regular basis to give each other the chance to perform and ask
questions of the performance.  As long as everyone remembers that it's not
how "they" would have done it, but what would work best for the performer
asking the question, it can't help but improve the group as a whole.  Not
only are we learning to take critique and hone your skills as a performer,
but we're also learning to listen with a critical ear and eye.

I never take critique as an attack.  I consider everyone I know to be a
teacher of some aspect of performance or another; some have more to offer,
some have less, but everyone has something.

When I am asked to judge, I write impressions on the sheet, "The audience
isn't at your feet, look at them", "Great tone!", "Don't move the head from
side to side so much while singing", "Wonderful transition",  etc.  It's the
one time I offer critique unbidden, but I make the assumption that the
performers would like to know what the judge is thinking.

Great question, Mea.

With a song in my heart I am
Gerald of Leesville
The Ansteorran Bardic site is http://bard.ansteorra.org/