[Bards] The lesson is in the failure...

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 20 07:42:08 PST 2009

Responding to Mea's questions, I've included my answer, which is not to be taken as THE answer. :)

Q: What is the best way - in your opinion - to recieve critique so that it helps you along your path?

Alden: How to receive critique (not how to give critique):  Critique should be received with an open mind, impersonally, and with the intent to digest it.  Whether you ask for it, or it is given freely, take the time to listen to what is being said to you.  Thank the person for giving you something to think about, and then go and consider the comments you received.  It's up to you to sift through the handful of rocks you've been given to see if there are any gold nuggets left in the pan.  If there are, great!  Take them and apply them as you will.  If not, dump the pan out and try again.

Q: Do you prefer to wait until you are ready for it and ask a fellow bard?

Alden: For me, this depends on the format and the piece(s) I perform, as well as my own self assessment of how I did.  You should always critique yourself after you perform (or compose!).  When I do well in a competition, but don't win, I'll ask the judges for critique so I can understand where I was lacking by their measure.  I may also ask an experienced bard in the audience, whose opinion I value.

Q: Do you need written docs for you to analyze and mesh into your performace?

Alden: I don't need written comments, but I like them.  That way I can have them on file to consider later, or if I perform a piece twice, I can compare comments to see if I've addressed earlier comments sufficiently.  I find written comments are also a little easier to take than face to face sometimes.  When I give written comments, I usually say, "I've written some comments down for you.  If you would like to discuss them, or have any questions, my contact information is there as well."  This lets the performer relax a bit and not "tense up for a verbal lashing" (not that I'd give one).

To critiquees: If you ask for critique (because you want to improve), ask it from people you trust to give you an honest answer.  It does you no good to ask people who will give you the answer you want to hear - or worse, the ever-vague "that was great" response.  Constructive comments should point out highlights as well as lowlights.  If you are given critique without asking, consider the source as well as the comments.  (If you're asking for critique, you've already considered the source).

To critics: When giving a critique, be honest, fair, and compassionate.  Point out strengths as well as weaknesses.  Be constructive, not destructive.  Before volunteering a critique, ask the performer if they'd like some comments.  Remember, your critique is a mix of your knowledge and OPINION, so it's wise to convey to the performer to take your critique with a pinch of salt and suggest they get additional comments too.  Peoples' knowledge and opinions vary, so it's good to be comprehensive.

Alden Drake