[Bards] Query

SBarrett barrett1 at cox.net
Sun Feb 6 16:51:00 PST 2011

If I really liked the piece and thought it was a strong option for
performance, I would proceed solo, while informing the judges that when it
was created, it was accompanied.
If asked why my piece was not accompanied (which I doubt would happen) I
would simply inform the judges that it was impractical for me to arrange
that.

Showing a working knowledge of the origin of the piece should be expected,
but I would not expect judges to lower a score because a performer didn't
bring a partner, a choir or a band as backup.

Many poetic pieces performed in Ireland (for example) were written by the
File, or Ollamh (master bard), and were spoken by one student while another
played the harp to accent the oration. The bard himself merely stood by,
letting his compostion speak for itself.
That sort of performance is possible, true, and would be neat to see, but
the arts community should not penalize a performer for not having an orator
and a harper - and never has, to my knowledge.