[Bards] Query

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 20:06:08 PST 2011

Yes, and a piece of fabric wrapped around my body can function as a dress.
If a melody was written with an accompaniment in mind, you cannot just
remove the accompaniment and have the work function as intended. Some
melodies are written without accompaniment in mind and function well without
them, however those works are relatively few and far between. To remove the
context from art is to remove that which makes it artistic.

Furthermore, the competition in question is not a bardic competition, but an
A&S competition. In bardic being able to sing a emotional song that moves
everyone, or tell a dramatic story that brings everyone to the edge of their
seat, or turn a witty verse that makes everyone laugh is the point. A&S is
different, A&S is about authority, authenticity, and presentation-- not
entertainment value.

Let's take a look at the judging sheet for performance art:

Method/Technique/Authenticity
Performance Elements/Materials
Technical Skill
Complexity/Difficulty
Overall Impression/Presentation

Now, dropping an obligatory accompaniment would cap the first group a 7
(according to the sheet), and could arguably drop the second category as
well; and should drop the last category somewhat as any attentive listener
would notice the "hollowness" of the missing accompaniment.

My analogy is valid as it is.