[Bg-dance] Fwd: Shadowlands Fall Ball January 24th (Free event)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Jan 16 16:58:07 PST 2009

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Nadine <ianthe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else looking to go?  Hearne is only about 2 hours away from
>> Austin.  The event I went to there was quite low-key and the
>> dancing was great, so I'm hoping to go again.
>
> What was the dancing like?

I said "great".

I know, I know, details!  I was just being a smart-alec.  My memories
are always a bit vague, so other who were there can correct me.

There was practice during the day; I don't remember instruction during
the ball itself (that really helps the flow).  I remember being tired
at the end, but that indicates less and less dancing as the years go
by.  There were maybe 20+ dancers, so we could do the dances that are
"for as many couples as will but you'd better have at least 6 couples
or you'll feel silly" -- it had been AEONS since I did Trenchmore
(since I don't go to wars).  I believe there were good live musicians
for much of it.

On the minus side: there were a few dances new to me, but they were
English Country.  I think the Italian dances done were the common
ones.  But I might be forgetting that they did unfamiliar Italian
dances.

As an analogy, what I remember wasn't like a world cuisine restaurant
with lots of novel ingredients and presentations, but more like a
good-quality all-you-can-eat American BBQ buffet.  While I'd like to
branch out more into Italian and such, I'll enjoy a big hearty meal in
the company of people I don't see often enough.

Danyell Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com