[Bg-dance] "Arm position in Renaissance dance"

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Feb 1 08:49:23 PST 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Charlene Charette <charlene281 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>> <http://katrowberd.elizabethangeek.com/articles/armposition.mhtml> is
>> a short,nice article titled "Arm position in Renaissance dance".
>> The illustrations shown all have hands at "natural level", that is,
>> more or less at the waist though not necessarily straight.
> Is there still any question about this? I thought it was settled
> years ago.

  From time to time I want to hold hands lower than my partner, though
it rarely occurs to me while dancing.  Thinking on it now, I should
clarify that I ideally want my hand to be around my hip (below the
waist), but occasionally I get a partner who holds their hand high
enough that my forearm is nearly horizontal.

> I haven't seen the "Hollywood" hold in SCA dance in over 10 years.

I don't know what that term means: holding hands at shoulder level?
If so, I've never encountered that.

Danet Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com