[Bg-dance] "Arm position in Renaissance dance"

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Jan 31 23:37:36 PST 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
> <http://katrowberd.elizabethangeek.com/articles/armposition.mhtml> is
> a short,nice article titled "Arm position in Renaissance dance".
> The illustrations shown all have hands at "natural level", that is,
> more or less at the waist though not necessarily straight.

I just realized that that was unclear by not emphasizing the
limitations.  My apologies.

Let me emphasize "The illustrations SHOWN".  They were only from three
sources: Arbeau's _Orchesographie_, Caroso's _Il Ballarino_, and a
15th C portrait.  She adduces but does not illustrate two other sources
with hands in similar positions, both English.

But it is just a short article.  She says that she didn't bother to
_read_ Arbeau; she doesn't mention any other articles that might have
a broader scope.

So it's a small data set, though somewhat important by having Arbeau
and Caroso in it.

Danielis de Lincolino
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com