[Bg-dance] Reminder: Dance Guild Sunday 10/24/10 at 6 pm

star7fisher at aol.com star7fisher at aol.com
Wed Oct 20 08:57:22 PDT 2010

European Dance Guild:
Come join us this Sunday for our regular European dance practice.

We meet the 2nd & 4th Sunday each month from 6-8 pm at Wells branch recreation center on 3000 Shoreline Dr Austin, Texas 78728.   Guild is open to all dancers, all levels.  Street clothes are the norm for dress, though garb is welcome.

Challenge Dance Night

There is a certain ball style where the partner of the leader chooses the next dance (from a list of choices).  I want to do something like this for all attendees.  Each will be given an opportunity to choose a dance they want to dance that evening (you don't need to know the name, we accept "descriptions").

There is also the opportunity to add a challenge to the dances by any number of choices:
1) Choose an overall attitude for the dance (Elegance, snobbery, excessive flirting, subtle flirting [Sorcha will have trouble with this one], shyness...)
2) Practice fan or other accessory skills during the dance
3) Teach or lead the dance
4) Do random attitude assignments for those willing to participate (draw an attitude)
5) Call a style for an easy part of the dance--sort of like what we do with Maltese Bransle

Rules:  It is okay to just dance and NOT try to confuse yourself with the added challenge.  Purpose is to enliven the dance to more than just movement and to maybe push your comfort zone on dances that have become "easy" for you as a dancer.

Intermediate Dancers Addition:
Intermediate Dancers, there is a "Let's Work the Kinks Out" session from 5-6 pm, same location.  We'll be focusing on making a decision about the Candle Dance.  The musicians need to start practicing the music for this and with the holidays may have limited practice sessions so would like a choice.

Upcoming Special Dance Opportunities:
December 4th:  Hellsgate Yule Revel 6-10 pm.  A masque.  We've been requested to help teach dances.
December 11th:  Bryn Gwlad Yule Revel.  No specifics for dance have been planned, but, you know, it could always just seem to break out spontaneously...
December 12th:  Normally scheduled Dance Guild meeting...or Yule Revel, day 2...will be a D3.

Sorcha ni Fhaolain, "Star"
Dance principal Bryn Gwlad