[Bg-dance] Pavanes?

star7fisher at aol.com star7fisher at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 09:51:53 PDT 2011

Very few.  Many SCA choreographed dances get labeled pavannes incorrectly (Duchess Rhondalyn's for instance), and most pavannes were really just processional dances with little actual choreography.  So we tend to prefer Almans which are also processional but with a bit more choreography typically.  Do you know what pavannes the other groups are doing?

Some that we do:

Monschaft Pavanne (earliest SCA pavanne to my knowledge)
Earl of Salisbury Pavanne
Could do Belle Qui...just typically don't since I see older knees not wanting to kneel (gents)

There is one I would like to teach, that is one I created.  Would you be willing to find/create an appropriate tune?  It is called Cat's Exchange.  I use a Cantiga tune for it, but any Pavanne music would work.

Star