[Bg-dance] Dit de Bourgignon

Charlene Charette charlene281 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:11:43 PDT 2011

Years ago I tried tracking down the origins of several "odd" dances;
Dit died out in the Stargate area when Signy moved. Here's an excerpt
from my notes.

--Perronnelle

Subject: Re: [SCA-Dance] Dit de Bourgignon
From: Jane & Mark Waks <waks at comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:58:15 -0500
To: sca-dance at andrew.cmu.edu

Let's see -- this ought to be in the old East Kingdom Dance Book,
since it's of that period. Yep, here it is.

Okay -- modern choreography, albeit more reputable in origin than
some. The introductory paragraph:

"This dance is a re-creation of a "choral", or round dance using dance
steps of the period of the music, "Dit de Bourgignon", as
choreographed by Dr. Ingrid Brainard."

So it's more or less in the same genre as Quen Quer Que -- a
reasonably well-informed guess at what a chorale might look like.

Note that Ingrid was *very* strict in her later days that SCA accounts
should be listed as "based on the work of Dr. Ingrid Brainard" -- I
get the impression that she'd been feeling a bit burned by SCA
mistransmissions of her work in the past, and didn't want to be blamed
for our mistakes any more. So it probably shouldn't be taken for
granted that it's a faithful communication of her choregraphy...

                -- Justin