[Bg-dance] April 14, 2012: Terpsichore at the Tower XVIII, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Dec 9 08:58:03 PST 2011

Terpsichore at the Tower is a dance event near Ann Arbor, Michigan.
(The nearest airport is Detroit, which is pretty big and has good
connections.)  Next year's will be April 14, 2012.  Alina, the
European dance coordinator, will be putting out a call for instructors
soon.

Disclaimer: I pretty much started there and have friends there.
Regardless, I think it's a pretty decent dance event.  Typically, it's
on a Saturday, and there are usually four tracks of classes, three
European and one Middle Eastern.  Usually they have a good mixture:
some beginning classes and some advanced, some standard dances and
some presentations of newly redacted dances, some relatively local and
some from around the Known World.  I've heard it's a bit more
scholarly than Crystal Ball and such, but not at all as much as Known
World Dance and Music.  I can get my Italian Ren on (stumblingly, but
I blame Perronnelle for not moving to Austin).  There's an evening
ball when most of the dances taught are done.  There's a great
sideboard dessert table, and Magdalena usually manages an astonishing
subtlety.  (One year she did a pastry of an open copy of Playford that
was so good that a couple of people tried to turn the page.)

As before, I'd like to hear people's opinions about dancing at other
events: wars, Crystal Ball, KWDMS, or whatnot.

Daniel de Lindo
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com