[Bg-dance] Fwd: non-SCA: Special English Country Dance Dec. 30

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Dec 28 18:07:08 PST 2011

I've occasionally mentioned the non-SCA English Country Dances in
Austin.  I'll mention another (prompted by Hugh).  It's towards
intermediate territory, but I've not usually perplexed by a dance
unless there's a really weird progression or something.  They often
have live music, as this time, which is really really nice.  They do a
couple of run-thrus without music first, but they don't teach steps
unless they're unusual, just (e.g.) "Then a right hand star all the
way around, and turn single".  They do more types of steps than our
SCA dances, and some we do are rare, but they almost always reuse
steps -- very rarely are there steps unique to a dance, like arches in
If All The World Were Paper, or "funky hay" in Argeers, or the weird
hay at the end of Parson's Farewell.  They call each dance for a
number of repetitions, so by the time they back off on the calling,
I'm usually pretty confident on doing without.  Since most of the
dancers are experienced, someone with familiarity with our ECD can
probably be steered thru without much trouble.

Alas, I won't be at this one, as I'm planning to drive to Dallas for
the weekend for a haircut.  -- Daniel de Lincolino, Tim McDaniel,
tmcd at panix.com