[Bg-dance] Fwd: non-SCA: Special English Country Dance Dec. 30

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Dec 28 20:17:32 PST 2011

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
> I've occasionally mentioned the non-SCA English Country Dances in
> Austin.

I should have noted a few other differences.

- Almost all they do are "progressive dances".  The only progressive
   we do is Hole in the Wall, and I taught another one once, Juice of
   Barly, and several of us like Female Sailor.  These are dances for
   as many as will, with couples doing a figure and going up or down
   the set.  I was astonished when we actually did a couple of dances
   that I knew; almost all are recent.

- They don't have a standard repetoire.  At least I don't remember
   ever doing the same dance on two evenings.  So it's not a case of
   learning a dance long-term, but following the calling enough to get
   it into short-term memory.  They don't have cheat sheets.

Daniel Lindum Colonia
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com