[Bg-dance] Our own dance booklet

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Mar 31 13:02:38 PDT 2011

I haven't gone looking for existing books or booklets in the wild,
except for a few dances.  But I did get to detailed Lull Me Beyond
Thee instructions in at least two sites, though not the way I
reconstructed it.

So some of this stuff may be out there already.

In general, off the top of my head, I see several different possible
documents based on what you want:

- aide memoire after you know the dance.  "Right, this is setty-turny
   ... oh, and the heys in the third chorus are handed".  The
   Terpsichore booklet is good for this, if it has the dance.

- instructions for how to do it, when you're familiar with the genre.
   "As many couples as will lined up facing the presence.
   Up a double and back.  That again.
   First corners exchange.  Second corners exchange.
   Four hands around one full turn."

- instructions, when you need to know what a continenza is.
   (Mnemonic that Philip White gave me at Terp:
   "In a 15th C continenza, your hips make a short frowny face.
   In the 16th C, your hips are a wide smile."  Perronnelle,
   if you disagree, take it up with him.)
   Terp can help some with that, with the step listings at the end of
   the 15th C and 16th C Italian sections.

Meeting about to start so I must rush.

- local customs / variations we know about

- decisions: _why_ did the reconstructor or local custom do this
   I hope to get an A&S paper out of this for LullMBT.

What's the purpose for this document in this case?

Dankyn de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com