[Bg-dance] Notes on the Earl of Essex Measure

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sun Jan 22 23:51:50 PST 2012

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012, tmcd at panix.com wrote:
> But there's an Italian version too, and it includes something I find
> humorous: "push the left foot half a palm's length forward, and two
> finger breadths to the side of the right foot".  On my hand, that's
> about 2 inches forward and 1 1/2 inches to the side.  Apparently
> Italian ren really does have really little steps just like
> Perronnelle has been saying for years.  Fancy that.

I had a sudden dreadful thought, that someone might think that I was
implying that it's remarkable that Perronnelle was right about
something.  No!  "Fancy that" was an ironic dig at myself, and at a
lot of other SCA dancers, who take these HUGE galumphing steps in
Italian ren (and exhaust ourselves) while Perronnelle is looking
stylish and talking (as she has for years, I think) about how small
steps are what the period sources call for.

Daniel de Lindicolino
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com