[Bg-dance] Gulf Wars AS 47 set list

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sun Feb 24 09:42:17 PST 2013

Myfanwy, thanks for passing on the Gulf Wars set list.  I've printed
it out and I'll have it at dance, and I'll give a copy to Star too
next time.

If people want to practice things specifically for the ball, please
speak up.  I'll give them priority today.

Total counts:
5 Gathering Peascods
5 Amoroso
4 Whirligig
4 Trenchmore
4 Rufty Tufty
4 Petit Vriens
4 John Tallow's Canon
4 Hole in the Wall
4 Heralds in Love
4 Heart's Ease
4 Goddesses
4 Ballo del Fiore
3 Picking of Sticks
3 Korobushka
3 If All the World Were Paper
3 Gelosia
3 Bransle of War
3 Bransle Charlotte
3 Black Alman
2 Bransle Pinagay
2 Bransle Official
2 Black Nag
1 Villanella
1 Troika
1 Scotch Cap
1 Rostiboli Gioisio
1 Newcastle
1 New Alman
1 Moonshine
1 Madam Sosilia's Alman
1 Lebens (Gresley)
1 Kohanoshka
1 Juice of Barley
1 Jenny Pluck Pears
1 Ivy Allemande
1 Gay Gordon
1 Entre Courante
1 Earl of Salisbury's Pavan
1 Duchess Rondallynn's Pavan
1 Contrapasso in Due
1 Bransle Tangle
1 Bransle Pease
1 Bransle Maltese
1 Bransle Candlestick
1 Anello

It's impressive how many of those dances we have in our repetoire
here.  Here are the ones that look like we don't have them so recent
or strong:

Monday:

* Contrapasso in due: FIRST.  Hah!  This is the figure-eight dance than
Star was kind enough to do with me.

* Pinagay, Charlotte, War Bransle Suite: might want to polish these more.

* Scotch Cap: English Country for 3 couples.  Moderately complicated.
We've done it only a few times, and I've seen a different version at
KWDS (an extra-long first verse, so it's not just a case of "you go
left here instead of right")

* Villanella: um, I'm guessing Italian?
checking http://rendancedb.org/dance_list.php ...
Crud, is it La Villanella, 15th C for 3, or Villanella, 16th C, for 2?
Looking at the steps, 16th looks a bit simpler than 15th.
But it's more complicated than Contrapasso in Due, though easier than
cascarde.  If we have the music, we can give it the ol' college try
... or since it's halfway thru the ball, maybe this is the mandatory
pit stop.

* Goddesses: ECD for 4 couples.  We've done this occasionally.
It's with 11 verses followed by butterfly cast to bottom and up.
Straightforward figures, but the main problem is remembering the
sequence of verses, and it tends to be fast so there's little mercy
for being off.

* Trenchmore: ECD for as many couples as will.  This is the
over-under-over-under and then reel down the set dance.  Fun, pretty
easy, but we usually don't have the people to practice it.
It's one where the lead couple starts things, so if you're not quite
familiar with it, start near the bottom of the set and keep your eyes
open, so you may have a better time of it.

* Ballo del Fiore: I taught it a couple of times a few years ago but it
didn't really catch on.  Italian, flirty (but I repeat myself).  It's
pretty straightforward: 6 lines in the Terp booklet, and there's lots
of repetition.  Man dances around to select woman, they dance
together, he hands over the rose, she dances off to find a new man.

Tuesday:
* Trenchmore
* Korobushka
* Ballo Del Fiore
* Branle Suite:Charlottes, Pease, War

* Gelosia: Italian for 3 couples.  It's the one where #1 man goes to
each woman in turn.  We've done it sometimes.

* John Tallow’s Canon: for 2 couples.  This is where couple 2 does
everything couple 1 does but 4 beats later.  I don't know that I have
CD music.   GOOP: Greatly Out Of Period.  Very pretty.

* Tangle Branle: bransle right, three bransles left.  Repeat weaving
the line around and under and stuff.  I think we're good for this one.

Wednesday:
* Candlestick Branle: never hoid of it.  Also called Torch Bransle.
Googling ... Like Ballo del Fiore.  Alman doubles and singles only.
An alman single is a step and pause.

"Several people take a lit candle or torch, and circle the room
looking for a partner; each stops to invite a partner to dance; they
dance together for a while; he makes a reverence and gives her the
candle; she looks for a new partner while he leaves the floor, and so
on. The sequence of steps throughout is A: 4 doubles (played once or
twice) B: 2 singles (played once or twice)."

Other sources say 8 doubles and then 4 singles.

But Arbeau gave no instructions of when to dance to, when to dance
with, when to break up, where to go, so I gather you just wander over
the floor.  One source I see has man come up to woman in the first
8+4, then they dance together for 8+4, then split up.

I'd wing it -- go out there and watch out of the corner of my eye what
other people are doing.  Also, this can apparently be done as a
cascade: one man starts, lights one woman's candle, they dance
together, then they split and go find new partners.  If so -- and this
being the first dance I'll bet a small sum it is -- you get to watch a
few reps.

* Gathering Peascods: we might brush up on it.  We did it last week.
That's where one sex goes in and does an inner slipping ring and back
out, and then the other sex follows.

* Kohanoshka: ... what the dickens is THAT?  ... alias Kohanochka.
Russianish, like Korobushka.

* Troika: I've never done it, but it's apparently somewhat popular.
I think it's GOOP and Russianish.
* John Tallow's Canon
* Korobushka
* Gay Gordon: I've never done it.  Also GOOP, a Scottish dance.
* Moonshine: never even HEARD of it.  GOOP, Russian.

Thursday:
* Anello: heard of it, don't know that I've danced it.
Looks like a pretty simple 15th C Italian: lots of repetition, not
many types of step.
* Ballo del Fiore
* Charlotte Branle: could polish this
* Duchess Rondallynn's Pavan: SCA invention, a grab-bag of steps, we
don't do it in Bryn Gwlad any more.
* Entre Courante: ... Googling ... also Ann's Courante, an SCA
invention.
* Gathering Peascods
* Gelosia
* Goddesses
* Ivy Allemande: ?
* John Tallow's Canon
* Madam Sosilia's Alman: I've taught this occasionally.  This is the
one with embracing.  Moderately simple, but I think there are
variations in timing, and there IS that embracing, so it might be best
to dance it with another BGer.
* New Alman: which one is this one? ... oh, THAT one.
"Lord steps left, Lady steps left, exchange with a double".
I want to re-teach this.
* Newcastle: ECD, I don't know it, some variations in reconstructions I think.
* Official Branle: Toss the Duchess.  We could polish this.
* Pinagay Branle
* Rostiboli Gioisio: 15th C Italian.  We've done it occasionally.
This is the one where you try to turn in two steps and then step
sideways.
* War Branle

Friday (our Isabella?)
* Offical Branle (Toss the Duchess)
* Gelosia
* Ballo del Fiore
* Gathering Peascods
* Juice of Barley: ECD, fast and merciless and dizzying.
This is the one in lines, lords pass thru the ladies in a half-figure
eight, then the ladies thru the lords.
* Goddesses
* Korobushka
* John Tallow's Cannon