[Bg-dance] Italian dance workshop

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Feb 26 12:12:36 PST 2013

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Charlene Charette <charlene281 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Who is willing to coordinate a site (preferably a room without
> carpeting)?

It was Colin, I think, who pointed out that the room at the other end
of the hall at Wells Branch Rec Center is tile.  I don't have a
contact for them.

> Next, are there any dances or steps in particular that people
> definitely want me to cover?

Hrm.  Do _you_ have any notions?

Broadly, 15th C and 16th C are two big categories, right?  And the
average 15th C is simpler than the average 16th C (with exceptions
like Contrapasso in Due)?  I see these that we know are 15th C:
     Petit Vriens
     Amoroso
     Gelosia (Giloxia)
     Rostiboli Gioioso
all balli according to
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/del/sections/15th_c_italian_dance.html
which also says "Certainly the basse danze are less complex and by and
large do not contain as many leaps and bounds as the balli, but there
is only a very fine dividing line between the balli and the basse
danze."  That should win fans.

So maybe attack more 15th C?  (The Italian pusher says, "The first
century is free, heh heh.")

Personally, I have some notion of some steps, though crude.  (E.g., I
do pive and spezzati (?) the same, the standard SCA way of doing
pive.)  But even with that, unlike with ECD, I'm not familiar enough
with steps to be able to look at an Italian dance and start working on
it.  But all of that is "personally".

Danielis de Lindocolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com