[BG-heralds] Help with a name?

Fields Family Farm fields at texas.net
Thu Aug 26 21:19:38 PDT 2010

Greetings,

Daniel recommended that I email this group.  He said that I could email it
without joining it, and supposedly when y'all hit reply, it will come back
to me, and to the group.

I am working on a registerable name (and arms, but Daniel thinks we've
mostly got that covered).

My persona:  My father, a viking, in the year 960 or so, raided Scotland,
captured a woman of the Scottish tribes, took her to the Anglo-Saxon part of
the British Isles and settled down.  I've been raised in an Anglo-Saxon
community by a viking father and Scottish mother, and it's approximately
year 1000.

My first name:  'Hrethric' - is mentioned once in Beowulf.
My proposed last name:  'aet Feldas' - if I've got it correct is Old English
for 'of the fields'.

Daniel and I tried to look up the last name, but we need help.  We found, on
page 167 of Reaney and Wilson's 3rd edition a 'sn' of Fielden.  Also, there
was a version, after the invasion, 'de la Felden', which is supposedly a
dative plural.

I'm attempting to have the byname 'of the fields' (plural) for that time and
language, if it will work.

Help please?

Thank you,

Hrethric/Rick