[BG-heralds] "Hrethric" (was: Help with a name?)

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 30 00:04:17 PDT 2010

I wrote:
> The name sometimes rendered as "Hrethric" in modern translations of
> "Beowulf" appears on line 1837. . .As you can see, the attested
> form is "hreþrinc".

Hrethric/Rick replied:

> See line 1189 of that same manuscript/transliteration.  In that
> instance it is transliterated as 'Hre(eth)ric'. . .

> I'm told that there are good linguistic reasons for leaving out the
> 'n' in the transliteration.. . .Do I need written attestation of
> that from a linguistic researcher?

Since "hreðric" appears in the manuscript, it doesn't matter. (If you
were trying to prove that it's a plausible unattested variant of
"hreþrinc", it'd be a different matter.)

> What counts as a good source in this case?

You're arguing that what you're submitting is a period name, based on
the fact that it appears in a period manuscript.  A page from that
manuscript is the best possible evidence of that.  So, go to <http://
www.archive.org/stream/beowulfautotypes77zupiuoft#page/56/mode/2up>
and print a copy of the autotype of that manuscript page and of the
facing transcription.  (The transcription is particularly important
in this case, due to the degradation that portion of the text has
suffered.)  Then go to the front of the book and print out the title
page, with the publication information.

The only other thing you'll need is a scholarly translation of the
relevant line, so those commenting heralds who don't read Old English
can evaluate the context (i.e., see that it's indisputably presented
as a given name).  It doesn't really matter whose you use, so long as
it's clear who translated it and that (s)he was qualified to do so.
Include the title page of that source, too (or the equivalent portion
of the website, if it's electronic).

When you summarize your argument on the submission form, be sure you
cite all your sources fully and that you clearly and accurately state
exactly what comes from each one.  (Don't say that "Hrethric" is in
the manuscript, for instance, when it actually says "hreðric".  If
you mean to submit the former as a modern transliteration, explain
that and cite the translation as evidence that it's a reasonable
one.)  Remember that most of the folks evaluating the submission
won't see your supporting documents, just your summary, so it's
important that it be cogent, complete, and able to stand on its own.
(I recommend you share your summary with an experienced consulting
herald before you submit your paperwork, just to make sure you
haven't missed anything.)

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>