[Bonwicke] museum dates

Judith Johnson jnursester at gmail.com
Tue May 19 19:39:33 PDT 2009

Wow, looks fantastic! We will have to check it out!

and, speaking of the naming of swords...a few come to mind....
Glamdring, the sword of Gandalf
Sting, the sword of Bilbo
Anduriel, the Flame of the West, the sword of Aragorn the King
.......you get my drift

HE Morrigan, who is going to have a  marathon LOTR-watching party rather
soon!

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Gianetta Malatesta <
gianettamalatesta at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   *MAY*
>
> *[image: African ceremonial sword]May 17 - October 25
> A Double-Edged Weapon: The Sword as Icon and Artifact from the Higgins
> Armory Collection
> Galleries 2, 3 and 6
> This exhibition introduces modern audiences to an object that is already
> universally familiar as an icon, yet largely unknown as a physical artifact.
> The exhibition showcases approximately 100 swords and sword elements and is
> drawn from the rich collections of the Higgins Armory Museum, the only
> museum in the northeastern United States dedicated to the preservation and
> interpretation of arms and armor. The story of the sword around the globe is
> one of diversity reflecting local cultural tradition. The show emphasizes
> the dualities and complexities inherent in the artifact: in these deadly
> works of art, elegance grapples with brutality, esthetics with
> functionality, and reality with myth. **
> *

"All we can choose, Frodo, is what to do with the time that is given to us".
Gandalf, Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien.