[Bonwicke] Fw: Bonwicke Archery today at 2 PM

Nike Myrick ladynika at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 22:39:37 PST 2012

Wow, what an interesting conversation to stumble upon for my first
conversation on the Barony of Bonwicke's e-list.
Long the days and years we toiled to see the Shire turn into the
Barony. I am glad to see that it finally happened, but saddened to be
greated by the lack of understanding of protocols displayed.

Sorry to say, Francois, that I have to agree with your seneschal on
this. By posting your signature in such a manner you show disrespect
to the actual officer who holds the warrant. This can and will lead to
confusion to others who are new to the group or the outsider who may
happen upon the list.

I understand her desire to make the correction so as to clear up any
confusion on the list. It would have been a much more appropriate
response to the request to not confuse the populace to simply change
your signature and only post when HL Kolfinna specifically asks you to
do so. As the group archery marshal (warranted officer) she is the one
responsible for the practices and reports and making sure any
necessary waivers are signed. If you are doing these things without
her directing you to do so, then you could be subjecting the barony
and yourself to great liabilities. It is the seneschal's job to
correct people when they are not following the prescribed protocols as
they are the ones who ultimately bear the responsibility for your
actions, good intentioned or otherwise. SCA liability insurance only
covers official events that have been published in your local
newsletter and have your warranted officer in attendance unless you
are their deputy and approved and recognized as such by both your
local seneschal and your kingdom level officer. If these are not
sanctioned activites, while you may be an authorized marshall, this
does not automatically extend coverage under the SCA insurance to your
archery practices. This is why you need to report to HL Kolfinna and
either get her permission to post or have her post the information.
Since I am not currently a resident of Bonwicke, I don't know the
specifics of the officers and their deputies and your practice
schedule. For someone outside the barony, it sounds like it is just a
hey, the weather's good, I have space and time, come out and shoot..
ie an unofficial activity not covered by the SCA insurance policy.
Yes, words, do have far reaching impacts and not choosing them
carefully can lead to headaches for others.
Respectfully submitted,
Lady Viktoria Berenike Paulini Rothenelke von Memmingen former
resident of the Shire of Bonwicke, currently the deputy seneschal of
the Barony of Lonely Tower, Calontir