[Bordermarch] RE: Questions 7/18

RIsaac9056 at aol.com RIsaac9056 at aol.com
Mon Aug 2 09:25:28 PDT 2004

Questions 7/18

1. (Q) What attracted you to the SCA?(A) An old friend of mine. He and his wife use to run a jewelry shop at the Texas renaissance fair. The SCA compound was just a few doors down. I use to go there as a kid and spend the weekend with them at the fair. They no longer participate. I was just a child then and since there were not to many children there to play with nearby I would to go over to the SCA compound and play with the other kids and their families. (Some of those kids are still active today. We still see each other from time to time). Years later I went back to the fair as a paying guest and as I went by the compound I bumped into some of my old playmates. We had such a good time remembering the old times that I could not resist and joined up. I still have many happy memories of that place but I have many more of all the friends and experiences that I made and had there.
2. (Q) What is your perspective of what the SCA is to you?(A) On the surface? Well the SCA is pretty much a hobby, fun, enjoyable past time with a little of something for everyone in it, but deeper down it is a family who shares values that I think are important. Honor, courtesy, and responsibility for ones actions are values that are dwindling inthe more mundane world. I feel safe with in the society and so does my child. I also feel that it provides a basis for teaching lost values to our children and some adults. When at events, these behaviors are common and the norm, and our children become comfortable with this mode of behavior and they can take that confidence and experiences into the wider word.
3. (Q) Where do you invest the most time and energy in the SCA (household, local group, kingdom, specific activity)?(A) Because of present financial constraints, mostly local and household. I hope that will be changing in the near future.
4. (Q) How long before you started to take initiative in the SCA (applying for an office, organizing an activity, etc.?)(A) I have been active for many years in the Society but to date I have never held any offices. I have acted as an assistant to many officers but never held the office outright. Have never really had the desire to do such or had the time.
5. (Q) Were there instances that could have "run you out of the SCA" ..why did they not...or why did you come back?(A) It has happened, a few times, hurt feelings, loss of faith in people. Long story but I have never been one to play politics but have met many that only joined to play the game. It was hard and really hurt but I decided it was bet to leave at that time, but always seems to come back each time. I was about to loose all hope until I move to Beaumont, Texas and meet the wonderful people living in Bordermarch and it restored my belief in the whole society. Even though I no longer live with in its sacred borders my heart will always be there.
6. (Q). How long before you burned out? Why did you burn out? Is there anythinganyone could have done to help keep you from "burning out"?(A) I have been playing in the society off and on since 1988. I will not discuss the details but the reason I left is due to people playing politics and it has left me a little gun shy over the years because of it, and it has happened more than once. I am trying to erase it from my from SCA memory banks. But it has occasionally reared its ugly head and at times in some poor places. I just want to apologize about that. That which attracts us this life style and interesting hobby is the idealistic view and recreation of a "better" time, but that idealism can give us a mixed view and on more than one occasion varied experiences of the people in the SCA as well. Many I have met seemed to forget that this is just a hobby and need to remember or be reminded of that from time to time. Unfortunately we are all human (I think) and as such we all make mistakes. Some rather costly that can hurt others around us very bad. Now could it have been prevented yes. It could have but the people who could have done this did not care because it would not have benefited them at the time.
7. (Q) What do you get out of the SCA?(A) I have to agree with this so I left it in its entirety.  “One gets from something in direct proportion to what one puts into it. I left the first sentence because I agree with it. Foremost I get a sense of belonging and rightness. The exposure to history and cultures is by all means enjoyable, but I fell it is the window dressing. What keeps me coming back is the feeling of belonging to something great in it's basic form. This is re-enforced when there is a tragedy and the people of this group give of themselves to someone that they may have never met, because they too are a member of this "community". But the tragedy only shines a spotlight, the giving and sense of oneness is the constant that keeps us here”.

8. (Q) If you have your AoA...how long did you get it after starting to participate in the SCA?(A) About 12 to 13 years. Long story. Refer to question #8

9. (Q) and last but not least...why do you think that people should join the SCA and stay in it?(A). For myself, well it would have to do my child and family well I feel safe from the outside world and I think that we all need that from time to time. A little time free from the pressures of the outside world. When attending events or just getting together for meetings. If I don’t feel like mingling I don’t have to. But I can go where I please and I am always welcome at every campfire. I think that that is what it means to me. To have friends and family everywhere I go even if we have never met before. I do not mind letting my child go running off by himself as I know he will be safe and looked after buy hundreds of close friends wity kids of their own. There is really not enough room or words to explain what the Society means to me. Even with the experiences I have had over the years I will always come back. Why should the bad attitudes of the few ruin it for the many. This has become my life and family. I will always be here for it.