[Bordermarch] humorous approach to peers

benliz benliz at ev1.net
Fri Jul 16 09:25:57 PDT 2004

Her Grace Duchess Willow sent on the Rose List the following humorous article about observing peers. Chivalry, Laurels, Pelicans (and in some kingdoms, the rank of Rose is peerage.  Not in Ansteorra.)
Clever; interesting. I am passing it on to the populace with a smile.
Newsletter or website might wish to re-print.
If so, please credit the original source.

Joy be yours,
Tessa

>From Baroness Eleanor Cadfan, OL, OP,
>Baroness of Skaeling Althing, Ealdormere.

>Greetings,

>Peer Fear is a terrible affliction in this club and so
unnecessary!
Getting to know Peers in their natural habitat, like on the list
field,
is fine, but there are other ways. Peers can be anywhere and
everywhere,
so when approaching an unfamiliar Peer it is best to keep a few
general
rules in mind. Remember they may be more afraid of you than you
are of
them! Although frightening from a distance, these magnificent
creatures
domesticate easily and can make very rewarding companions.

1) When approaching a Peer, do so from the front. Walk slowly.
Peers
startle easily, particularly Roses, and you don't want to set them
to flight.

2) Distract them. It may help more skittish Peers, like Laurels,
if you begin by letting them examine a sleeve hem or a work in progress.
Show a Knight a new weapon or anything shiny.

3) Speak softly and use encouraging language and flattery. They
may not
understand everything you say, but they will respond to the tone
of your
voice. Avoid excessive bragging or arm waving. Rarer Peers, like
Pelicans, can be easily intimidated by overt displays of passion.
Laurels or Knights can become competitive or agitated and may
charge.

4) Offer them food or drink. Many Peers can become cranky when
sitting
through long meetings, Courts or performing arduous tasks of A&S
or
service. Food or []beverages will often make them more
placid
and with a little work many Peers can become tame enough to take
food
directly from your hand. Remember to keep the food soft and easy
chew. Many Peers are old and dependant on Squires or Apprentices
to cut
their meat.

5) Approach them in groups. Peers tend to travel in clusters and
can
become anxious when cut from their herd. When approaching a flock
of
Pelicans or a pride of Knights, be careful to include all the
Peers
generally. Avoid singling out one Peer with direct eye contact and
never
turn your back on the rest of the group. While not meant
maliciously,
many separated and started Peers can accidentally trample you in
an effort to rejoin their fellows.

6) Wear your Apprentice, Protégé or Squires belt. Let the Peer
examine
the belt or touch it. Many Peers feel more comfortable knowing
another
Peer has been there before them.

If you follow all these guidelines, anyone can form a lasting and
meaningful relationship with a Peer. With proper maintenance, a
Peer can
be a faithful and loving companion and friend.

Fight the fear. Hug a Peer!