[Bordermarch] Re: [Ansteorra-announce] Gathering and Sending CarePackages to our Service Man and Women

Elizabeth Burgin elizabethburgin at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 21:02:37 PDT 2004

Great!  Here is a list, which certainly isn't
all-inclusive.  Remember that cash donations are
really important, because it's very expensive to ship
stuff over there.

Food:
Breakfast-type foods and drinks are the most needed.
Beef Jerky
Candy, gum, trail mix, etc.
Fruit, in the small flip top cans. (Put zip-top cans
in a plastic bag!)
Cereal bars, granola bars, Special-K bars, etc.
Coffee, instant and regular, and filters.
Coffee cups. (metal, camping types are good.)
Coffee makers, hot plates.

(Note: In the 'Zip-Top' or easy to open cans.)
Canned nuts.
Canned chips, like the potato sticks or the small
canned Pringles, Doritos, etc.
Decent can openers.

Powdered drinks, pre-sweetened, Kool-Aid, Gatorade,
etc.
Snacks, brownies, Lil Debbie, snack cakes, etc,
nothing with icing that will melt.
Soups, chunky, chicken, beef, etc.
Tuna, canned and packs.
(Basics: Easy to open, easy to eat, quality and
healthy foods are best. Nothing that melts!)

Personal Hygiene Items:
Antibacterial wipes - lots of these!
Anti-fungal for their feet - athletes foot creme, foot
powder - no aerosol bottles.
Band Aids, cough lozenges, small packs of Kleenex,
shower-to-shower powder.
Combs, paper, pens, envelopes, lip balm, eye drops,
q-tips, nail clippers.
Eye drops - the cleaning kind - because of all the
sand storms...(Put in plastic bag!)
Flip flops - shower shoes - so they can air their feet
out when they get a break.
Small containers of Tylenol, Motrin, etc.
Small tubes of toothpaste and toothbrushes, deodorant,
soap, shampoo.
Sunscreen
Feminine hygiene products
(Basics: small and easy to carry, disposable and
anti-bacterial.)

Entertainment:
Beanie Baby toys for the soldiers to give to kids.
(Now you have a good reason to lose those things...)
Comics and paperback books, crossword puzzle books.
DVDs & CDs.
Game Boys, the ones your kids don't use anymore, and
the games... (Idea: Have your kids ask around to
collect GameBoys and games they don't want anymore...)
Magazines.
Sports stuff (baseballs, footballs, old gloves,
frisbees...)
(Basics: Small and light, uses AA batteries, nothing
rechargeable.)

Misc:
Batteries, alkaline - Mostly AA-size, but some AAA
also.
Batteries, rechargeable, and chargers - Mostly
AA-size, but some AAA also.
DEET insect spray.
Disposable cameras.
Electrical items; Transformers, dual voltage
appliances, plug adapters, etc.
Fans. All kinds. Especially small, hand-held battery
types. The kind with sprayers are great.
Flashlights - small, black or dark green, AA battery.
Headlights (small flashlights worn on a helmit).
Maglite (flashlight) bulbs.
Music CD's. (Have a portable player you don't use
anymore?)
Pens, paper, envelopes. (NO stamps! They get free
mail.)
Phone Cards.
Pillows, small or inflatable, self-inflating camping
air mattress.
The Oxford Picture Dictionary: English/Arabic.
Available here.
(Basics: Again, think small and light weight. Be SURE
to put items that might even possibly leak into a few
zip-lock bags! ie. toothpaste, shampoo...)
T-Shirts (Brown for Army, Green for Marines, Black or
Brown for Air Force.)
Sunglasses